b. January 11, 1846. d. December 21, 1899
Mary Stickney Emerson
b. Jun, 11, 1847. d. Jun 1, 1881
b. March, 1851, d. September, 19, 1916
Children by Mary Emerson
Vernon Emerson Carroll
Children by Cordelia Burt
Morris Burt Carroll (b. 9/17/1884,
d. Jan 15, 1963)
The following biographical sketch of Vernon B. Carroll is excerped from pages 42-44 of the book "Record of a Century" that was sent to David L. Carroll by Scott Eding, current pastor of the Warwick Reformed Church.
On December 7, 1876, the Church called to the vacant pastorate the Rev. Vernon B. Carroll. The service of installation took place on December 28, on which occasion the sermon was preached by the Rev. James M. Ludlow, D.D., of the Collegiate Church, New York City, the Rev. Drs. John H. Duryea and W.H. Clark, of Patterson, participating in the services. Mr. Carroll remained head of the Church for ten years, or until January 1, 1887. His previous pastorates had been in Pottersville, N.J., and in New York City, in connection with the Seventh Avenue Chapel of the Collegiate Church. His later pastorates were in connection with the Presbyterian Church at Tenafly, N.J. and at Armenia, N.Y.
Mr. Carroll was born in Baltimore, in 1846; was graduated from Rutgers College in 1868, with the honor of salutatorian, and from the Seminary at New Brunswick in 1871. Mr. Carroll married Miss Mary Emerson, of Bridgeport, Conn., whose death occurred during his Warwick pastorate. In 1883 he married Miss Cordelia Burt, the daughter of Thomas Burt, Esq.
Mr. Carroll was a man of profound conscientiousness, of scholarly attainments and of a large capacity for work; as a preacher he was able and spiritual. He brought into the Church a thoroughly modern spirit. Progressive in his ideas and alive to the pressing needs of the day, the Church under his preaching and leadership made marked progress along all lines of development and activity; its membership was largely augmented; its benevolences, systematized and greatly increased, the fraternal spirit toward other churches in the community to a marked degree extended. During Mr. Carroll's pastorate the Women's Missionary Society (auxiliary to both the boards) was organized. The need of the organization of the young people was recognized, and was met by organizing conjointly with the representatives of the other churches in the village, the Young Men's Christian Association, which for a number of years was practically the union young people's society for the village. That there might be better facilities for Bible School and prayer meeting than the church building afforded, a room was leased in the A.G. Miller building, of which Mr. John L. Servin was lessee. Largely through Mr. Carroll's efforts union monthly Sunday evening services with the Methodist and the Calvary Baptist Churches were inaugurated, beginning February, 1879, making our centennial year the twenty-fifth anniversary of this outward manifestation of christian [sic] fellowship and comity among churches of the community.
His death occurred as the result of an accident, Dec. 21, 1899, the funeral services being held in the Warwick Church, his teacher and devoted friend, the late Rev. Jacob Cooper, D.D., of New Brunswick, pronouncing a most beautiful and appropriate eulogy; D. Leavins of Passaic, and Rev. Mr. Knox, Pastor of the Church, participating in the service. The interment was in Warwick Cemetery.
[Back to Top]